knitnana: Oh, NOW I Get the Whole Steeking Thing...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Oh, NOW I Get the Whole Steeking Thing...

I've been laid low with a fibro flare the past few days...(not fun), and sleep, hot packs, and muscle relaxers have been the order of the days...when not groggy, I've worked on the Cat Mittens and have made a little progress.

Then today, as I picked them up again, I discovered an "Ooops!"

No biggie, I've fixed these things in stockinette socks before, so I gathered my tools and got under an exceedingly bright light:

I had to add that teensy crochet hook (of my mom's - she used to crochet the delicate edgings of my grandmother's beautifully embroidered pillowcases and dresser scarves, so I have a lot of these teensy tiny hooks).

As I tried to drop the stitch down, I suddenly had a revelation! This is why steeking (cutting Fair Isle after it's knitted to insert a zipper, or button band) is really not so fearsome as it sounds - this yarn (Dale of Norway Daletta) is really STICKY! It was all I could do to UN-do my stitches...
But I finally managed and using the teensiest hook, I switched that dark stitch for the light and brought it back up again. And in the process of bring that stitch up, I suddenly saw:
Ooops #2!

So of course, I dropped THAT stitch down, fixed it and brought the light yarn up again...
Not so bad, eh?

Now I'm not 100% certain that this means I'll be trying a big Fair Isle piece anytime soon, but it certainly proves the point that steeking isn't something to completely fear.

Besides, I have a sewing machine and I know how to use it!
*wink*

7 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

My vest steeks are ready to cut. I need help before I tackle that. I'll go over Catie's one day. Why do mittens need a steek?

8:58 PM  
Blogger anno said...

I'm glad you got your oopses fixed but I don't really get why this makes you feel cozy with the steeks thing..

steeks are scary!

12:08 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Excellent fixes! I hope you feel 100 percent better soon. (((hugs)))

6:45 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Having had that revelation for the exact same reason - I totally get what you mean!! Steeks work for a reason :) (Now, that's not to say I'd try them with a silk blend!!) :)

3:06 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Steeks and superwash - also a non-starter. Excellent job on the fixes!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow! You fixed that like the pro you are! Very impressive Fair Isle! :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Love! the tiny hooks. So great that you have your mom's tools. Nice job on the fixes.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!