knitnana: One Down...One to Go!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

One Down...One to Go!

Here's the back of the hand
and here's the palm...

Now, I'm going to apologize, because apparently I didn't make myself clear last night. Steeks are not a part of mittens. My point was that most Fair Isle (like my mittens) are knit of "sticky" wool - like Shetland (and in the case of my mittens, Dale of Norway). Sticky wool sticks to itself. A lot. I had no idea how much until I tried valiently to drop stitches down to correct those two mistakes and

The.Yarn.Would.NOT.RUN!!!
NOT.
It was like taking velcro apart. It was like pulling burdock out of your hair...

STICKY.
So you can cut away...unless you deliberately go to work pulling and tearing at it, I don't think those stitches are going much of anywhere while you work to pick up the sides and stitch on that zipper or add in that button band.

Which makes ME feel a lot better about trying it...

And my point about the sewing machine? Well...if in doubt, you sew a channel and cut between it. Sewing machines have been holding fabric together for a long long time.

Capiche?

8 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Definitely! And you're so right (I love the burdock image!). The mitten looks absolutely wonderful!! I cannot wait to see this pair with your winter coat - what a really fun knit (you're making me want to knit them again NOW). :)

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so love the fishy thumb for the cat mittens. Well knit, my friend!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Gorgeous mitten!!!

9:40 AM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

What a great mitten! You did a fabulous job. I'd forgotten the paw print on the palm.

Suddenly squirrels aren't so attractive. I may need to knit these for some young ladies I know. Or maybe for me!!!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Gorgeous! They are just adorable and so full of little designs. I love the paws! :)

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Carrie#K said...

Sewing a channel is what they recommend, I just know how my machine skips stitches.

The charms of wool. I like the stickiness because I always, always, ALWAYS manage to not knit one stitch somewhere and there it sits, patiently waiting for me to notice it, when there's no way I have enough yarn to drop down & weave it back up. Oh well.

Those cat mittens are darling!!! Where oh where DID you get your color scheme? ;) (didn't even need your big cute hint!)

5:46 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Those are the cutest mittens ever!! What a genius design! The double kitties, the paw pad, the fish skeleton! Eep!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Great explanation! I am in awe of your mittens.. they look so traditional and yet have such a cute and modern-inspired design. Awesome:)

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!