knitnana: The Things We Save Give Us Blatant Hints of Who We Are
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Things We Save Give Us Blatant Hints of Who We Are

It's been another working weekend for me, I know that probably comes as no surprise to you all, right? I spent most of it working on my client's books, but managed to also get in a little bit of sewing time, hit the post office to ship out cat show bags (I'm *almost* finished with those orders, soon to start on NoSoKnit's orders!), and still managed to spend a little time at my KnitIn (Sunday afternoon knitting group) with Lynette! (She's new...keep fingers crossed that winning the doorprize and enjoying so much good company will keep her coming every month?)

In between chores, when I simply had to take a break from the computer or the sewing machine, I've been going thru odds and ends of things, hoping to actually get a fall yard sale together (who am I kidding, I'll end up tossing whatever I can grab onto the driveway apron, and hope I have the presence of mind to toss a price tag on it first - and I'll be lucky if it happens to be even half that organized!)

I came upon a stack of Christmas magazines (those that fairly scream at you that they have hundreds of gifts for less than $10 that you can make in plenty of time to have them wrapped in handmade paper and trims and under the tree before Santa arrives? Yeah. THOSE magazines).

Most of them I was able to say, "nope, you're not staying and cluttering up my space a moment longer."

And then there was this one:
If you can't read it - that's Better Homes & Gardens Christmas 1982!

And it's not going out the door. Nope. It's not.
There is an entire section in this magazine on having a "Prairie Christmas" - granted the patchwork on the sweater is too dated to think of recreating, but I do think the doll furniture made from wooden thread spools is cool (really, I have a granddaughter now, I just might get in the mood to make some of this cute furniture and also stitch up the quilted coverlet and canopy for her, too! I even discovered some wooden spools in my aunt's boxes tonight: ok, I didn't find them, The Tonk did, but still, there's a handful of them, and I know I have more in my mother's things...). And you're right, I'm a packrat. I freely admit it, and was trained by one of the best - my mom! If it might come in handy she kept it, and while I've made a dent in some of the stuff I've hung onto over the years, I've still more than earned my merit badge in "just in case I need it!"

The things we keep say much about who we are...for me? I'm a frustrated minimalist - a packrat who longs for simplicity. Living in a Victoriana-rose-bedecked house and aching for Shaker-styled modern. I am conflicted. Always have been. I need six houses to decorate so I can satisfy every part of who I am!

But frankly, the reason I'm keeping this magazine, is this quilt:
made from wool scraps and embroidered with a feather stitch all along the patches. I've loved it since the day I first saw it back in 1982.

Do you see? In that photo on the right-hand page? A wooden bowl of yarn with bamboo needles! And the multi-colored doily? It's crochet. I LOVE IT. LOVE.IT. And since I want so much to really learn crochet, it makes some sense that I might try to make that...

I can't help it. The weather is turning, it's getting cooler, downright chilly, in fact. And when that happens, I start digging into my stash of stuff: yarn, fabric, magazines...if I had a fireplace, I'd be sitting in front of it, knitting, piecing, learning crochet...

Okay, I'll admit it: if I had a fireplace AND the time!
*wink*

Just as an aside: I'm just beginning the decreases on the second Marsan Watchcap, so I'll be sending Lynne my two hats and some other goodies for the sailors on Shanti's ship. Have you made yours yet?

5 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I can see why you had to keep that magazine -- you love everything in it! I admit to having trouble getting rid of magazines myself, although I'm getting better at it. :) Given my druthers, I love big open space with a minimum of dust-gatherers, I just have a problem with also liking to know that things are there if I need them! :)

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Grandmother received for her eighth Christmas a doll chair. It was carved from a cigar box (wooden) by her uncle who lived "way out on the Nebraska Prairie". The chair is mine now, and just fits the smallest of my china head dolls.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I have that issue of BH&G Xmas along with about 15 others. And that's not counting the McCall's Needlework that go back to the early 50s, a stack each of Ladies Home Journal & American Home Needlecraft from the 70s, stacks of QNM, Quilt, Ladies' Circle Quilt, Piecework & any number of other craft/needlework/knitting/crochet magazines. My treasure trove!! {lol}

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Carrie#K said...

I have trouble getting rid of books & magazines especially. Luckily along with my packrat tendencies is the spring cleaning one where I ruthlessly cull. They barely keep each other in check though.

That quilt is really, really cute. You should totally make it. In your vast free time. ;)

8:30 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

It is ok to keep stuff if you love it.

And yes, as it starts to be autumn in earnest, playing with wool and fabric is all I want to do.

Cheers!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!